Thursday 7 August 2014


LESSON LEARNED

Ahhh the animated Jackie French. I could listen to her for hours, and this afternoons session in the Capital theatre with her was no exception! She delighted the youthful audience, of which there were over 500, with her stories of inspiration, heartache and laughter.
I picked my daughter up from school early and snuck her in with me (shhh, don't tell Sue) as she, my daughter, is a huge Jackie French fan and has read many of her books. Although Cassidy enjoyed listening to Jackie it was the book signing she was most looking forward to.
 I had previously purchased the novel on line. For me it was a matter of money and that was the cheapest one I found. I thought it didn't matter UNTIL Cassidy met Jackie with book in hand and Jackie commented "oh, I see you have the American version" I had not realised it came from the States. Jackie then preceded to tell us that the American publishes re-edited not only her words but the pictures as well! She continued, 'There was a drawing in this book which showed some chest hair on a young man and that is illegal in the state of Florida, so it was re-drawn before distribution in America.
Lesson learned! I shall only ever buy books from the country where the artist originates!
I gave a humbled apology and shrunk back into the corner. One the up side, Cassidy met one of her idols and has the autograph in her book to prove it !
Mindy Moore

1 comment:

  1. Did Jackie draw some chest hairs onto the picture for Cassidy? ;-)

    ReplyDelete